Sunday, May 31, 2009

A Road Well Travelled

I've had a passion for twentieth century art and literature for as long as I can remember, it was only after several years at art school that I came to work in the field of design. The way that creative thinkers have felt compelled to overcome society's insistence on living a a life more ordinary has always held a fascination for me. One of my very favourite books, originally purchased because of my interest in Jean Cocteau, is 'Writer's Houses'.


Written by the former editor-in-chief of Italian Vogue and Casa Vogue, who now works at French Vogue, Francesca Premoli-Droulers. A cursory glance at the stunning images of remnants of mid-century life lived without surrender will reveal a parallel aesthetic trajectory along which the likes of KWID may have traveled. I remain fascinated.

On another note entirely, I've been looking at some flooring solutions and came across this last night. Being a total devotee of the great British decorator David Hicks, I felt compelled to share it:


David Hick's iconic 1960's designs have been set in stone by Studium. Nine of the motifs, including my favourites 'Isfahan' and 'Fiorentina', have now been reproduced by his son Ashley Hicks as floor tiles in marble and limestone. Prices start at $75 per square foot. I'm still waiting on Australian pricing, which may prove prohibitive considering the tyranny of distance. More details are available at http://www.studiumnyc.com/

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin